I have always been a total sook when I’m sick. I have been known to groan “I’m dying” when in the throws of a common cold – not at all melodramatic! What I hadn’t experienced until today was being sick as a mum. Long gone are the days of taking to bed for the day with a box of tissues, a good book and a cup of honey and lemon. Yes, those days are loooong gonne.
My first sick day as a Mum resembled something like this:
- Realise that hubby is sick too so stop looking for sympathy there.
- Call grandmother #1 and realised she’s sick too.
- Forget grandmother #2 and grandfather – on holiday in Aussie.
- Realise that today is going to be the crappiest day ever.
- Make sure that the lounge is safe, baby-proof anything remotely dangerous.
- Turn on TV and stream animated movie (Shaun the Sheep Movie on repeat).
- Let Baby Mac roam free!
This plan worked well until it was time to change/feed/put Baby Mac to bed for his nap. I really struggled to pick him without getting the spins and needing to sit down!
This was the state of our house towards the end of the day. We didn’t even bother to open the curtains. Today was a day I do not want to repeat in a hurry!