This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Air Wick. The opinions and text are all mine.
Let’s face it – being a Mum is hard. Being a working Mum is hard. Being a Mum and a partner is hard. Being a Mum and taking time out for yourself is darn near impossible! Gone are the days of sleeping late, relaxing bubble baths, devouring books whenever the urge strikes, spontaneous dinner and drinks with ‘the girls’ – the list could go on and on! And while being a Mum is amazingly consuming, it’s not impossible to make sure you’re taking time out for yourself. You just need to work a little harder (and smarter) at it! Here are some top tips from real Mums on how to take time out for yourself:
- Once the kids are asleep take a bath – a really indulgent, bubbles spilling over the edge, laptop on the basin with your favourite guilty pleasure playing (Geordie Shore for me!), scented candles lit (I love Air Wick Life Scents colour & fragrance changing candles) bath and stay in that bad boy until you’re as wrinkly as a prune! Then tumble in to bed – bonus points if you managed to change the sheets first. Nothing beats fresh sheets!
- Go window shopping. Ditch the kids, grab a takeaway coffee and wander the local main street or shopping centre. Stroll through the shops with the narrow aisles, the ones you usually avoid with the pram. Try something on without having to abort halfway through due to meltdown. And try on something white. Not to buy it but to look in the mirror and remember what it was like to where bright white clothing completely free of sticky fingerprints, snot, dribble or all three!
- Make a regular date with a friend – even if all you do is grab a coffee and spend an hour talking about your kids!
- Get your sweat on. Go for a run, a walk, a class at the local gym. I swear the hardest part is getting dressed and getting out the door. Once you’re done you’ll feel that awesome endorphin rush and be revived and refreshed for the next round of ‘chocolate or poop?’
- Have a space in the house that is just for you. It might just be a single, cosy chair (mine is my office area) and retreat to that space during nap time or once the kids are asleep. A place to read, play Candy Crush on your iPad, write – anything that makes you smile. One Mum I know even has a meditation area set up in her walk in wardrobe! Keep a cute photo or inspirational message nearby. Maybe a nice fragrance diffuser with your favourite scent (check out Air Wick home fragrance range for inspiration – there are so many different fragrances, I love Turquoise Oasis.)
- If your blessed with a good sleeper, consider getting up earlier than the rest of the house. Even just 30 minutes to drink your coffee and check your emails in peace can make a huge difference to your day!
- And one of my favourite tips from a real mum: pop your little one in the tub (without water) or somewhere equally safe, give them something to play with, then check your Facebook on your phone. This is a great tip for so many reasons – you can get your social media fix out of the way knowing your little one is safe, then be ‘present’ when you need to be. In an ideal world we would never ignore our little darlings to stare at our phones but we’re all just doing the best we can and sometimes that means spending 10 minutes updating our status and checking out what that girl from high school, the one we haven’t seen in real life for 10 years, had for dinner!
However you do it, make sure you do get a little time to yourself. There’s no point in being a selfless marry
WIN a gorgeous scented candle and reed diffuser from Air Wick. COMPETITION IS CLOSED.
Check out the boring bits below for the Ts and Cs.
The boring bits:
- By entering the promotion, you agree to these terms and conditions.
- Prize is 1 x Air Wick scented candle and 1 x Air Wick reed diffuser.
- PRIZE WILL ONLY BE SHIPPED TO AN AUSTRALIAN OR NZ ADDRESS.
- Competition closed 8pm (NZDT) Tuesday 5 January 2016.
- Entry to this giveaway is free, no purchase is necessary.
- Winners of giveaways on Facebook, will be notified on Facebook. Please check back on the giveaway for the announcement.
- The winner will have 3 calendar days to reply to notification to claim their prize. In the event of the prize not being claimed within 3 calendar days, a new winner will be drawn.
- Misses Mac reserves the right to amend or cancel the promotion and/or these terms and conditions at any time.
- Misses Mac reserves the right to verify entries and disqualify incomplete, altered, illegal or illegible entries. No responsibility will be accepted for entries lost or delayed.
- Misses Mac is not liable for any person’s inability to complete entry, and no responsibility will be taken for technical, telecommunication or website errors – proof of entry is not proof of receipt.
- Misses Mac’s decision is final in all matters and no correspondence will be entered into.
- No prize draws, promotions, sweepstakes or competitions are in any way sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with, Facebook.